,

My Vancouver, My City

6:00 am

My time in Europe was a breathtaking 8 months of history, art, and architecture. I was swept away by sights like the imposing Colosseum, the landmark Eiffel tower, and the grand Acropolis. In fact, every country I visited left me with unique memories of both people and places. But as soon as I touched down at the Vancouver airport, and as the German tourist in front of me gasped at the sight of the snow-covered mountain peaks, I realized that I didn’t have to go far to be swept away.

You can take the girl out of Vancouver but you can’t take Vancouver out of the girl. I am an advocate for this beautiful city through and through. There are few places where you can go skiing in the mountains in the morning and sailing on the waters in the afternoon. The people are laidback and the living truly is easy. With scenic views, mild weather, and fresh mountain air, it’s no wonder that Vancouver is consistently ranked the most livable city in the world.

When I was traveling abroad, I realized that people would venture hundreds of miles to be visitors in a foreign land, but often miss the beauty right outside of their front doors. So I promised myself that, once home, I would to break from the mundane routine of being back in the familiar, and to see and appreciate this city through some refreshed eyes.

Although I miss living in Paris and London, and experiencing the different European cities the way I did, there’s definitely no place like home, especially when that home is Vancouver. I've shown you hundreds of photos of Europe on this blog, but it's time that I showed you my home.

Welcome to my city.

 P.S. Go Canucks!!

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. I've always wanted to visit Vancouver. Coming from Ohio, its been one of those far away places I thought I'd never reach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet post, gave me goosebumps :) I also love living in Vancouver, though I'm not really from here.. Can't wait for summer! Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truly you live in a beautiful city! I have wanted to go to Canada for a long time, your photos make me want that even more ;-)
    Maybe Scott Thomas' latest assignment here is something for you?!:
    http://stphoto.wordpress.com/2011/05/11/assignment-13-hometown-history/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you guys live in igloos up there? LOL j/k. These are lovely pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, good luck tonight heading into the Stanley Cup finals!

    ReplyDelete
  6. [...] month, I got to spend a short week in Vancouver on a business trip. Long time readers know that I live and breathe the city. Although I’m not sure that my work life will ever allow me to relocate back there, it will [...]

    ReplyDelete