,

Palace of Versailles: A Heavy Dose of French History

9:00 am

Since I live only 10 minutes away from Versailles, it would be a shame for me to spend 4 months here and not visit the Palace of Versailles. Having walked by the outside a few times before, I finally willed myself to stand in line for an hour on a beautiful Wednesday to tour the inside of the Palace.

The place was filled with eager tourists from all around the world. I heard plenty of German, Korean, and English with British accents. After nearly a month in France, I have declared myself a permanent visitor here, which, I’d like to point out, is totally different from the average tourist. Armed with an audio guide, I managed to break free from the herd of tour groups and enjoy the Palace at my own pace.

I never paid much attention in History class and everything the teacher taught us in 9th grade went in one ear as quickly as it escaped the other. I spent hours inside there, admiring the beautiful chambres of King Louis XIV and Marie Antoinette. After half a day inside the Palace, I was dizzy with French history.

Thankfully, the Gardens provided the perfect escape to rest my head after the tour. Next time, I’m returning to the Gardens with a picnic and some fine French wine.






Palace of Versailles
Palace of Versailles
Gardens of Versailles

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. the photo of the empty hall is astounding, I love the color and texture and softness of the light

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! It was very difficult to get a shot of the empty hall - so many tourists!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, fantastic pictures.
    My favorite would be the first one.
    Seems like a busy place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I think your blog is epic. Congrats.
    Free Online Games

    ReplyDelete
  5. oho...nice reportase....

    ReplyDelete