, ,

Coming Home to Wild Leek

5:06 am

I have less than 3 weeks in Canada until I begin my 2 month trip through Asia and Europe, but it's getting difficult to drag myself away from Toronto when the spring weather here is so gorgeous. When I started my big trip across Europe two years ago, I really fell in love with the different cuisines from around the world. Luckily, my stomach has never had any problems with the random street food that I like to shovel into my mouth.


Since returning to Canada, I have been very interested in our farming industry and where our food comes from. The more I learned, I more I wanted to support local farmers and eat local produce. So I ordered myself a box of organic Ontario produce from Fresh City Farms. I received my first box last week and found a recipe for wild leeks that accompanied the the locally-grown vegetables and fruits.

My mother will testify to the fact that I am a terrible cook, but I felt so enthusiastic about receiving the box of organic food that I decided to give the recipe a try. The result was a pesto lunch so delicious that I had to share on here.

Pasta with Wild Leek Pesto and Roasted Tomatoes:


*I didn't have any parmigiano that the recipe called for so I just skipped it all together. I also decided to add some mushrooms.

Recipe taken from Fresh City Farms

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups cherry tomatoes

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil

  • salt and pepper

  • pasta for 4 people

  • 1 cup chopped wild leeks

  • 1/4 cup olive oil

  • 1/2 cup parmigiano, freshly grated

  • 2 tablespoons pasta cooking water

Directions:

  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

  2. Wash and dry the cherry tomatoes. Cut the tomatoes in half and spread on a baking sheet, cut side up, and combine with 1 tablespoon olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes until the tomaotes have softened and browned. Once done, place the tomatoes and any juice in a bowl; set aside.

  3. Cook the pasta according to package directions. Reserve two tablepoons of the water the pasta water.

  4. While the pasta is cooking, place leeks and olive oil in a food processor and process until chunky. Mix in 1/4 cup of the parmigiano.

  5. Once pasta is cooked, toss the leek pesto with the pasta. Add the cherry tomatoes and the reserved pasta water. Mix well, adding more parmigiano as necessary.

  6. Serve with an extra sprinkling of parmigiano.

  7. Enjoy!

Just-In-Time: travel the world in pictures

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. That picture of the bowl looks like a stock photo! Good job =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures and the food makes me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks, was my first time at food photography =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing the recipe. I LOVE pesto! Nice photos by the way ;-)

    ReplyDelete