,

Snapshots from Cuba

4:46 am

Last month, I had the opportunity to visit the largest island in the Caribbean - Cuba. The focus of my trip was to learn about the people of Cuba: to learn about how they lived, their customs and cultural practices, and their everyday challenges.

A month later, I still think about the children in the rural communities, the guide who sang Guantanamera as we sailed down the river, the farmers on the sugar cane ranch, the taxi driver who bought gas on the black market, and the musicians and dancers who welcomed me at my arrival. I wish I could have spent more time with each one of them - to hear their stories, to exchange jokes and smiles, and to capture unrepeatable moments.

Here are a few snapshots from Cuba:

Getting locals to help push our taxi, after running out of gas and the engine breaking down
A horse-drawn wagon, in the countrysideThe attendant at the information booth at the entrance of a Varahicacos Ecological ReserveAn African dance group, performing in Matanzas provinceA sugar cane farmerA group of youth cyclists, training in Varadero.
A wonderful band, performing at a roadside cafeAn old man and his bull, in the ranches of Matanzas.

Just-In-Time: travel the world in pictures

You Might Also Like

12 comments

  1. what an amazing photographic journey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, some of these shots are also my personal favs from the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you got such a nice skill in photography and writing... I like the way you tune the color of your photos too. Good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. [...] with words and when she does write, it’s equally as emotional. I love the contrast of these two posts on her recent trip to Cuba. A resident of Toronto she also does some great photologs in [...]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. aaah Cuba... I've always wanted to go there! One of these days...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hopefully you'll get to go some time in the future! I really loved it there. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cuba is one of the countries I would love to visit. Blame it on Dirty Dancing 2 LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was one of the reasons why I wanted to go too! =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. [...] of the treasures of traveling. Sometimes a journey can bring me to places miles away from home, to the rural communities of Cuba, to the birthplace of mankind, and to the hidden corners of the earth. But sometimes traveling [...]

    ReplyDelete